Monday, April 15, 2013

Don't put the Father in a box


     On Wednesday, I got to go to this house where about six physically disabled boys live. When I walked into the room I didn’t know what to expect but from the description I got it sounded a lot like SFCV where I spent last summer. I thought I would be experienced in the area of disabled children but I walked in and there stood before me a little boy with no arms! I froze. I didn’t know what to do with him. At SFCV I never had a kid with no arms. I didn’t know how to play with him. I saw some blocks on the floor and I sat down with him hoping we would figure something out. This was definitely one of those moments when I was relying on my own knowledge and skills to be able to play with this boy. However, Dad had other plans I think that is why out of all the disabilities I saw in China, He chose the one I had never seen. Now looking back I am thankful He did because as I was sitting there with a panicked look on my face, this little boy began to play with these blocks all on his own with his feet! Let me tell you this little boy knew how to use his feet just like any other little kid with their hands. After we played with the block we brought out the bubble wands which he loved! Then came the balloons which we spent the rest of the time playing with. It was so adorable. He had the bubble wand in his feet and I would hit the balloon over to him and he would hit it like a bat. At this point I felt really dumb for doubting in the first place. I am glad that there are no limits to the things Dad can do even when I forget He is there to help me. Seeing that little boy smile reminded me that I’m not the one who brings joy to people’s hearts, I am only a vessel. Joy has already been one of the themes I have been feeling on this trip and I know that if I keep letting my Father do His thang then the joy that is in my heart will continue to overflow to all those who I meet. And that is something to be joyful about!!

1 comment:

  1. Thinking about you often Mari and am so glad for the ways you're growing and the things your learning. Learning to trust and to chose joy every day is a wonderful thing! We love you!

    ReplyDelete