Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Art Time









Every Monday and Thursday, I have art time with the Primary class which are the oldest kids at SFCV. This is my favorite time of the week!! I get to have fun getting paint all over myself and the kids enjoy it too! I have always loved getting my hands dirty and the look of paint blotches on my hands and  paint under my fingernails is a very satisfying feeling for me. The kids have been having fun creating wonderful works of art while also putting some of the paint on the canvas too. So far they have made marble paintings, color wheels, sponge paintings and ink trees. It is always interesting as I do projects with different groups of kids to see what creative ideas they come up with and how they intemperate the idea of the project I assign. Some of the concepts that i have tried to convey have become lost in translation and so some of the projects we have attempted have become just another painting, but luckily art is subjective and everyone interprets it differently so if they miss the concept completely that's ok as long as they have fun I am glad! Not everyone may agree with me, but I think that art is very important for developing well rounded people in any arena. I think you are never too old to have fun doing art and so I love it when the staff helpers get in on the action and do the art projects along with the kids. When creativity is silenced nothing can be accomplished whether you are a businessman, a banker or a doctor, artistic thinking is always useful. Because of that, it is my mission to instill this way of thinking in the minds of all the kids i work with so that in turn, our society can continue to become more innovative. You may be laughing now that I traced innovation back to elementary art class, but I think that this is a relevant thought, and I think it is evident in everyday life that art is important! Besides, who doesn't love art? Even if you are "bad" at art, you still can't deny that slapping paint on a canvas does not bring joy to your heart. I am so glad that I have been able to do art with the kids and I have been trying to incorporate it into their English lessons as well because I know that English grammar can be boring. I  enjoy the challenge of trying to make my projects go with what they have been learning in class just so they can get more practice using the English vocabulary. It also helps class a bit more bearable. That is my schpeel on the importance of art, and if you are an unsatisfied parent in the public school system I would love you talk to the school district and give them some testimonials so that your art program will not be cut! :) Art is creating beauty in this dark world and I count it an honor to help facilitate that an day. You may think that I am using strong language about this topic, but I think that art is very important and to suppress creativity would make this a very dull world, and I am not interested in living on that planet.
Posted By Mari

P.S. no one told me you have to resize the pictures before you upload them, so that is why they are so huge. :) technology is not my forte. Just click on the photo and it will display them in a smaller size.

1 comment:

  1. M and M, thanks for the update. I like your pix, they're real big. I think and pray for you girls everyday. My lavender reminds me of Mari, and Melissa, it is at the perfect stage, the flowers are just blooming. Ever time I look out my kitchen window ( a dozen times a day) I think of you and the team and the kids and the mission. Thanks for being His hands and feet. Jennifer Anderson

    ReplyDelete