Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The start of the therapy intern.....

I (Melissa) just finished week one at SFCV. For me though, it feels like I finished week ten

 I definitely hit the ground running, reuniting with my primary and Kindergarten students, laughing with old and new intern friends, and staying in my same exact room and bed. (Note to self, when living at SFCV, always take the top bunk cause it is right next to the air condition.)

As I have told you before, I am the therapy intern for the summer. The typical phrase I heard  for the first couple of days was this:

"Ma-li-ssa, you teach English?"
" No, I am not."
" Then what are you doing here?"


No lie, I probably heard that twenty times since I have been here.

 But as I think about it more, I ask myself what am I doing here? What possible experience could I possibly give to these precious orphans? I have just finished my first year of the Occupational therapy assistant program which really is not enough.
I must truthfully tell you all, I definitely have felt overwhelmed these past couple of days. Dr. Ana (doctor at SFCV and my supervisor) keeps telling me that she is so glad I am here because of their need to better their therapy program. There is so much need for therapy in the kids that I have been googling links for OT therapeutic ideas, reading through my textbooks, emailing super awesome occupational therapists about different children, and figuring out with Dr. Ana what schedule we should base therapy on for the children.

 For being here for only a week now, I see the need for therapy.

I have also seen the good side of therapy here as well. There are two therapy aides currently at SFCV. They have told me their names but I keep forgetting them. We all work as a team and it it great to see their love for helping these precious ones.

Yes, I am the therapy intern, broken and pr@ying to G@d to hold my hand through these decisions about how to best treat each orphan through Occupational therapy.

When I am weak, HE is strong!

Melissa

3 comments:

  1. so excited for all God will do in and through you this summer Mel! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. G has planned this from the beginning and I am thrilled for you. Definitely in my conversations and thoughts. Trusting and Talking to the one who moves and acts is the most powerful thing we can do. Just a few more days. I love you, DAd.

    ReplyDelete